Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Progress in Locust Poses

Bikram Yoga, Day 14

On my first day of yoga, when we were getting into the locust pose, I really struggled at the "resting" part of the posture. Essentially, you're supposed to lie face down, but there's a twist.

A big twist.

Of your arms. If you imagine sitting, putting your arms in front of you, straight, then turning them outward until your pinkies touch (palms to the ceiling), this is the arm position.

But remember: this is done while lying face down, meaning that your arms are like this underneath you.

Needless to say, at the first class, I couldn't do it. I could rotate my arms and lie face down, but there was NO getting my hands underneath my body.

The second class, I did manage to get my arms underneath, but I couldn't do it with them straight.

A couple of weeks ago, I started to be able to get straight arms slightly underneath me. Today they were totally underneath me. (Not yet touching though.)

On a different and weird note, my body has decided to become lopsided. The extra insulation/cushion/padding (whatever you want to call it) around my belly has shifted. In the full locust pose (no arms underneath), I kept rolling to the right because apparently I have greater quantities of insulation on my left.

My hope is that I have lost some of the cushioning on my right and not just gained on my left. Because even if I lose weight lopsidedly, I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment