Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Complications? Or Just Sucks To Be Me Today?

It had not been my intention, when I laid down to ice last night, to fall asleep for the rest of the evening and not get up until the morning. That's what happened though, and when I woke up at the time my yoga class was supposed to start, I was initially annoyed.

Until I tried to move.

Missing yoga is not going to be my biggest problem today.

One of the things I've done the past couple of days is wear my TENS unit almost constantly. I'd left it in the car after visiting Dr. Amy yesterday, so I gimped out and got it and hooked myself back up, turned it on, and...the batteries were dead.

I found a new pair, took some of the pain medication and went back to lie down.

My daughter woke up and came in about 5 minutes later, demanding food.

I gave up on the lying down and started trying to move around the house.

I spent the rest of the day counting down the minutes to my next dose of pain medication. I'm not sure why I bothered as even when I "felt" it working, I still couldn't straighten--or bend. I was stuck at about 1:30, if I were hands on a clock.

I spent the day alternating between feeling sorry for myself and feeling like a horrible mother as I was ordering my 3-year-old around to take care of her and me.
I'd called Kaiser because I was worried about a different symptom I was having (which, trust me, you are glad that I am not going to share the details of here) and the nurse on the phone had told me to NOT take the pain medication while I was responsible for my child because it would make me drowsy. If only. I was in too much pain to fall back to sleep. She told me to "just get a family member or friend to watch her" and then I could take my medication.

I don't know what world she lives in, but even though I could probably get someone to feel sorry for me (even if it was just to shut me up), there's no way I could get them to drop their life, job, and children to come and take care of mine. Choosing diplomacy, I told her it wasn't an option for me. She kept saying, "You mean NO ONE? Not even a NEIGHBOR? Isn't there ANYONE? What about your HUSBAND?"

Thank you, Nurse Sensitivity, but NO, my husband has no paid leave left, the closest family is an hour away, my friends have work, and my neighbors--I like them all, but again, they have their own lives that they can't drop for mine.

I couldn't even take my daughter to her swimming lessons because I certainly can't drive on the pain medication (well, I FEEL fine, but I have a feeling if I were pulled over, that would go over as well as "but I only had a few drinks, Officer," so I'm not going anywhere).

Not even my daughter got exercise today.

No comments:

Post a Comment