Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Moderation? What's That?

So CLEARLY I still haven't learned about moderation.

Yesterday I was feeling so good that I gave a massage and then did heaps of laundry.

Which meant this morning I was feeling so good that I crawled--yes, literally crawled--to the bathroom.

Oddly, I think it was doing the laundry that did it more than giving the massage. I was taught what is referred to as "body mechanics" in school and have always been extremely conscious of how I use them. I'm even more so when I'm dealing with a flare-up of my back.

Laundry, on the other hand...our machine is a front loader and we didn't get the extra storage units that go underneath and add height to the machine. They cost too much for what they were and weren't even tall enough to hold a standard size box of detergent, so we decided they were overpriced and useless.

Which means now, nearly 8 years after purchasing them, it is agonizing to bend over and reach in and pull out the laundry.

Oh yes, and one other lovely detail is that because of where they are located in the house and the depth measurement of the machines, the dryer is on the left. This means that instead of the washer door opening away from the dryer and vice versa, the two doors open into each other, creating a little obstacle course for the laundry to travel around when moving it.

Things that are normally just "quirks" about our house or how things are arranged become actual problems when I'm this messed up.

So all of the bending and twisting and leaning and bending to do the laundry is probably what did my back in.

Which means that even though there's still so much laundry that we can't sit on the couch...I'm not doing it until I feel quite a bit better.

Or at least until I have a day that does not involve crawling.

No comments:

Post a Comment