Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Weight Issues Part I: Denial Through Humor

This past week I've been thinking a lot about weight loss and what blocks people (not just me) from taking action, sticking to action, or even simply comprehending that action needs to be taken. It's such a multilayered complex issue that I really think is so individual.

I started writing down some of the things I've been pondering, not even getting to most of them, and discovered this was going to get really long really quickly. So after typing for over three hours (no kidding), I decided that maybe I should break it into segments. Welcome to Part I: Denial Through Humor.

Some (I think I'm one of them) brush comments off or insert comments into conversations where things might be (accidentally) offensive with the intent of humor. For me, that laughter was (still is) positive feedback--even if others were laughing because they were uncomfortable and weren't sure how else to react. So when I joke about going from hippopotamus to healthy, I am trying to make people laugh (chuckle?), seeking that positive feedback, and maybe in some weird way, reinforcing the base for those jokes.

If I can't make fun of myself that way, will people still laugh? Or will I have a harder time at finding humorous content to entertain others?

Has poking fun at myself because of my weight become part of my self-identity?

Or perhaps there's an underlying sadness that I try to use humor to pull myself out of?

I don't know. So sadly, this closes and I can't even make it funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment