Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Most "Real" PT Appointment So Far

Okay, I've had physical therapy for a number of things in the past: my knees, ankles, and my back. I'm used to appointments taking about an hour and consisting of being guided and watched through specific exercises, having some sort of passive modality done (electrical stimulation, ultrasound, heat, ice, etc), being guided and watched through stretches, and then given instructions on how to do them at home.

With Kaiser, aside a reasonable intake, all I've pretty much had is instructions on how to do things at home.

I'm pretty good with this kind of thing, but the problem is that apparently I've been doing a few things wrong, so when I go back and they ask me to demonstrate, I do it wrong.

They describe to me how to do it right, ask me to keep working on it, and despite trying to make the fixes, apparently I'm incompetent and can't. So I go back and it's wrong and now I'm starting to repeat myself.

They apparently got sick of me (which is kind of okay, because even though my physical therapist was very nice and I liked her, I was kind of sick of going in for the same thing and it not making a difference.

So they referred me to their physical therapy assistant. She did take me through a couple of exercises and stretches last time and even had someone else (an intern?) do the ultrasound on me (amazing! an actual treatment!) and then this week checked on me and walked me through even more exercises.

NOW I feel like I'm getting physical therapy. I was actually pretty excited until at the end of the visit I was told "okay, well, work on these and check back in in a couple of weeks."

*SIGH*

I know it's probably not the professionals fault or choice, but rather the system they are forced to work within. It's just frustrating for me. The exercises I can do on my own, but if I'm doing them wrong, it doesn't help, and the different passive modality work really helps, and I've had that exactly once.

What's sad is when we looked at the health plan options through my husband's work, we discovered it would be cheaper to keep Kaiser and pay out of pocket for actual care through our naturopath, chiropractor, and acupuncturist than to upgrade to the other plan.

Both of us having lived in other countries, we can compare the differences between what we've experienced. Even Morocco, a third-world country, has less expensive and easier-to-access care. Granted, if you're out in the middle of nowhere, you're kind of hosed, but then, the same thing goes for people here, even just on Mt. Hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment