Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

After Monday and Tuesday, Even the Calendar Says WTF

(Note: I wish I could claim my title for today's post as my own insight, but unfortunately, it came from somewhere online and my husband read it to me. It felt like it fit today.)

Plan for today:
Visit my dad in the morning to pick up the pressure washer, massage client at 1:00, daughter's swimming at 3:00, and teach private gymnastics lesson at 5:00 after stopping by local county animal office to renew dog license.

What really happened:
Woke up around 10:00, too late to get myself and my daughter together in time to get to my dad's house in time to get back for my client, so called him and told him. He wasn't pleased. (He does NOT live on Moroccan time--he'll be visiting the inlaws with us this year, so that will present its own level of challenges I bet.)

About 10:30 my client called. Apparently the appointment wasn't 1:00, it was 10:00 and I was now a half hour late. We rescheduled for 1:00 after more profuse apologies on my part.

Realize I have not scheduled a babysitter for either the massage or for the private lesson in the evening.

Call neighbor girls to see if they can babysit.

They can.

*WHEW*

Scramble around trying to get miscellaneous things done, call Dad to apologize some more and see if I can pick up the pressure washer tomorrow, but get voice mail.

12:30 Drop off daughter.

Give massage to client.

On way home, realize how tightly I have packed my schedule. Run into house, grab daughter's swimsuit and goggles, run to neighbor's, pick up daughter.

Drive short 1-mile distance that we should be walking to get to pool.

Dress her on poolside for lesson--normally classes run about five minutes late on the start. Despite managing to arrive exactly on time, lesson actually began early, so we're late anyway.

Finish lesson, give daughter robe/towel and ask her to put it on (usually she likes to do this by herself anyway). Take two minutes to talk to teacher. When I turn around, stranger helping her take off swimsuit to get dressed (well-meaning grandmother, not creepy or anything, but still annoying).

Dash daughter back to neighbor girls' home to babysit, take off to go teach private lesson.

Get to gym a few minutes early; return a phone call I didn't have time to return earlier. While I'm on the phone, friend calls and leaves voice mail.

Check voice mail, it's my friend asking where my daughter is. Suddenly realize I was supposed to drop off daughter elsewhere for playdate and that I did have childcare arranged, but had forgotten.

Check clock. 15 minutes past time to start private lesson.

Get text from father of students. They are stuck in construction.

Wait another half hour (now 45 minutes late) and get a call. Reschedule as I have to get home to pick up my daughter before husband leaves for soccer.

Drive home, exchange parenting responsibilities as hubby goes to play soccer.

Try to take care of a few tasks while husband is playing soccer.

Have accomplished nothing by time he gets home between dog, high-maintenance cats, and high-energy daughter keeping me busy.

When he returns, have high-emotion "discussion" about state of house. He is not pleased at the mess.

Have no energy left to explain my day.

Go to bed.

Hope tomorrow is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment