Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Someone Please Beat Me With a Stick

Because it might get me moving, or at least not be as bad as this cold!

After picking up my daughter from preschool, we both napped until it was time to leave for the doctor's appointment I finally made.

Only once--in college, when friends literally forcibly dragged and drove me--have I gone to the doctor for a "cold."

When I realized late last night that I've been coughing for about six weeks, the coughing exacerbates my back (I've fallen down a couple of times when I couldn't get to a wall to hold myself up before the coughing fit started), and that I've been dysfunctional (fatigued, sore, stuffy head, and more) for nearly a month, I called Kaiser to go visit my doctor.

Again I was glad I switched doctors as my new one is very nice and understanding. He promptly prescribed antibiotics, which normally I would shun as I hear about how much they are OVER prescribed, but since I've taken them once before in my life (the college illness), I was there to get help, and I was too weak to argue, I thanked him.

He also prescribed a cough suppressant with codeine in it. Yay, another medicine I can't drive while taking so must use sparingly and with my day's plans in mind.

My daughter had gymnastics again, which I drove her to after the doctor visit. I set up a new display of my crafts that I've been selling to try and bring in a little income and then I went out and coached the optional team a little bit.

I just jumped in without asking, which normally I don't do, and as soon as I realized what I'd done, I apologized to the gym owner and the other coach. I had to laugh when both of them commented along the lines that they were too tired to care.

Apparently though, that 15 or so minutes of coaching depleted all the energy I had left in me. When I got home, I took my cold prescriptions, including the strong cough suppressant. I laid down for about a half hour and when my husband yelled from the other room for me to come see something, I stood up--slowly, even, and yet was overcome by an . . . interesting . . . feeling.

WHOA.

DUDE.

(Yes, you can imagine those being said in a "stoned" voice.)

So while some of the "strong" painkillers I've had for my back have made me feel "funny," it has been nothing like . . . this.

Operate a car? I don't think so.

For that matter, I'm not sure I should be allowed to operate anything as advanced as a hot glue gun.

Note to self: DO NOT TAKE cough medication unless I KNOW I'm staying home ALL DAY.

I'm not sure beating me with a stick would even phase me right now.

DUDE.

No comments:

Post a Comment