Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Bikram Yoga, Day 4

Thankful that yesterday was over, I went to yoga again this morning.

GOOD NEWS! in the "balancing stick" pose (I think that's what it's called), I was able to actually lift my back leg off of the floor for the first time.

Technically, balancing stick is a one-legged stand, with the rest of the body forming a horizontal "T" position. MY balancing stick so far has been more like an upside-down lowercase "y" position because I haven't been able to lift my back leg off of the floor. Not because of weakness or strength, but because it turns on the hot burning knife twisting and poking into my sacrum feeling.

So while lifting my back leg off of the floor by an inch might not seem like much, it's one of those huge milestone progress items for me because it's something I haven't been able to do for SIX YEARS.

What's even cooler is that I did it without pain medication, and after only four days of yoga.

Afterward, I talked to the instructor. I finally came up with how I want to track my progress. I'm hoping to take pictures of myself in each pose, and soon. I want it to be as close a reflection to my "starting" point as possible. Then retake photos in 3-6 months and repeat as I progress. He said he would be happy to help and we could do it after class sometime.

I came home from yoga, ran around wrapping the baby shower present, getting showered and changed, and trying to get everything together. I ended up not having time to get to DEQ and went straight to the baby shower.

It was fun seeing my cousin all pregnant and glowing. She looked fantastic and I have to admit I was jealous because she totally looks better pregnant than I do right now.

Not a very positive self-image on my part, but that's why I'm working on changing things.

My daughter had a blast staying at Grandpa's house with her cousins and didn't want to leave. My sister offered to take her another night, which I might just have to take her up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment