Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hadn't Realized It Has Been So Long...

...since I posted on here.

Fortunately, I have at least been busy, in all aspects of my life, and keeping up with "training" too. Training in quotes because I'm still more in weight loss mode of training than in preparation for a triathlon, but at least more active than I was before I started this whole thing.

Finally visited my naturopath awhile back and spoke to her about mercury poisoning as well as the other issues I'm having (aside my back). For example, the relatively little levels of exercise that seem to put me straight into heat exhaustion and the headaches that turn my stomach inside out and make me useless.

I had to go and get a bunch of bloodwork done, which after quite a bit of phone tag with Kaiser, was approved. Ironically, in the middle of that with me, my dad was complaining that it was easier and took less time to replace his lost driver's license at the DMV that it was to get an appointment to talk to his Kaiser doctor. Apparently I'm not alone in the craziness.

Today I got a call from the medical assistant for my doctor. Now, as history, I actually went in to them well over a year ago with my back issues. When I hadn't gotten off of the narcotic painkillers immediately, I had to go in for a visit to make sure I wasn't a drug addict. Federal law and all. I told them then that I didn't want to be on the painkillers, but that I couldn't function (meaning do things like lean over in the morning to put on my underpants) without significant pain. Furthermore, I figured some of my back issues are probably weight-related but that exercise hurt so much that I couldn't do enough to affect my weight. I.e., where I was when I started this blog.

As a reminder, when I started this, if I walked to the end of the block and back, I would have to lie down for awhile to deal with the pain. So yes, losing weight would probably help my back and when I mentioned this to the doctor, I got kind of a nod, but that was it.

I finally got in to see the physiatrist, who told me the same things all the other doctors have told me, with the exception of "you should try Pilates." Which I would love to do, if I had access, money, and childcare, so I will look into it. Anyway, when I got in to the physiatrist, they weighed me, as they do at all Kaiser visits. According to my last weigh-in from Kaiser, I'm down 12 pounds.

So I was a little surprised and annoyed at the phone call I got from the Physician's assistant. Basically, I was informed that all of my tests were normal with the exception of blood sugar, which showed up as "Level 3" which is "very concerning" because it means I am "prediabetic."

The PA then gave me a third-degree lecture on losing weight and changing my diet and starting a regular exercise program. When she paused for breath, I informed her that I had started a new exercise program in May, made fairly significant lifestyle changes that included diet and that I have already lost weight, and that since I had gestational diabetes, I am familiar with what I need to do.

The lecture continued, with her informing me that this is "extremely serious" and that I should consider seeing a nutritionist, and that I need to exercise a MINIMUM of 30 minutes, five times a day.

At which point I interrupted. "FIVE times a DAY?! Shouldn't that be a week?"

She said, "Oh, let me look...yes...the doctor wrote five times a day...hmmm...that does seem like a lot...maybe you are right...a week sounds more normal, but that is what the doctor wrote."

I told her that I was already exercising regularly, that I would continue, that I have changed my diet significantly (for the most part--I have my moments, but not like before), that I still had my blood sugar testing kit from pregnancy and that I could start tracking what I'm eating and doing and what my levels are so that I could make adjustments as needed.

At which point, the PA said, "The doctor didn't say to do that."

So I asked her, "Well, wouldn't it make sense for me to keep an eye on my blood sugar to make sure I'm doing okay?"

She repeated, "The doctor did NOT tell you to do that and I need to be clear on this. She did NOT tell you to test your blood sugar."

At which point I wanted to know what the harm was and she just repeated that the doctor hadn't told me to test.

THEN the PA told me to "check back in three months to see how it's going and if we need to, we'll refer you to a nutritionist then."

At this point I was so disgusted I gave up arguing, thanked her (I'm not sure why), and hung up.

I was SO ANGRY when I got off the phone.

Basically, they ignored me for a year. I made changes on my own and have started showing results. When a different doctor ordered tests, they were suddenly FREAKED OUT over one number enough to call and lecture me, telling me to make changes that I had already implemented and neglecting to notice the already-dropping weight on my chart.

THEN when I hopped right on board, agreeing that this is serious, I need to be responsible for my health, and volunteering to go the extra mile (testing blood sugar), I was told that my doctor didn't tell me to do that.

What the heck?

From my gestational diabetes during pregnancy, I know it is serious, and from the little bit of reading I've done, diabetes (or "prediabetes") isn't something to be taken lightly at all. The ramifications of long-term high blood sugar are significant, so waiting three months to "see how it goes" seems like the dumbest advice a doctor could give.

I think I'm done being "polite" to my doctor.

This is just icing on the cake of having an appointment canceled AFTER I've already arrived to it, having a different appointment take over an hour for two minutes of time with the doctor, having the doctor "refer" me to a physiatrist but then 1) not process the actual referral and then 2) question it when two months later I asked what the heck was going on. Now I get lectured and then when I jump on board to make changes am told not to do that much and "see how it goes."

Have I ever mentioned that this doctor can't make my patellar reflex trigger? On my hyper-sensitive knees that had reconstructive surgery?

I asked if I could switch doctors in the network, but since I don't know anyone who sees them, I could end up with someone even worse. I can't imagine that, but then I couldn't imagine this bologna either.

No comments:

Post a Comment