Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

All Pain, No Gain

Woke.

Up.

Sore.

Again, not workout sore. Need pharmaceuticals sore.

However, I had a continuing education massage class to take. In these classes, you have to both give and receive massage. Unfortunately, you really shouldn't receive massage when you're on painkillers or anti-inflammatories. Basically, both of those somewhat "numb" your sensory input and pressure that feels great during treatment can actually be damaging due to the misperceptions.

In other words, I couldn't take anything, or I would lose the money I had to pay for class.

I don't like taking my drugs because I usually end up with phenomenal headaches afterwards anyway. So any time I hurt this much, I have this extended internal debate as to whether being able to stand up all day is worth having to lie down for a few hours tomorrow.

I went to class, sans drugs, and ended up receiving about 2.5 hours of massage treatment.

I came home and was amazed at two things. 1) I wasn't hurting any more (and none of the massage had been on my back--only head and forearms). 2) I was exhausted.

One of my husband's friends was over. This particular friend is a great guy--he and my husband have a great time together since they're both from Morocco. Usually though he stays later than I stay up and I typically head off to bed shortly before midnight. Then I have to get up after midnight and ask the two of them if they can keep it down--and keep the doors closed so I can't hear them from the other end of the house.

I was so exhausted, I fell asleep in the living room, with the lights on, them making noise in the next room (and no door closed in between), and it was only 9:00.

So much for my training.

No comments:

Post a Comment