Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Labor Day Weekend Getaway: Day 2

I sorta forgot to mention to my husband that often the dory fishermen will stay at the campground and they start up their boats at about 4:30 in the morning. He wasn't exactly thrilled to be woken. Oops.

We did actually get up around 7:00 as our daughter wasn't going to sleep any more and kept informing us, "It's in the MORNING. Let's get up! It's in the MORNING."

I actually pulled out my laptop and my phone, connected to the internet on wifi, and got a small project done while sitting at our picnic table in my pajamas. I was just finishing up when I noticed my husband was dressing our daughter and I got annoyed.

As background, let me explain.

When I talked about camping at a campground, I said I wanted to do this specifically because I wasn't sure we'd be able to use the showers at my relatives house (too many people, too crazy), so I wanted to go to a campground where we could shower. He agreed. I made reservations at, and informed him of such, at a campground with showers.

He was part of the conversation last night when I told my relatives where we were staying and that I was glad they had showers there.

When we pulled into the campground, I pointed them out and said, "Look! There's the showers--and not too far from our campsite!"

I informed him last night, as we were going to bed, that I wasn't going to bathe our daughter prior to sleeping as we'd go take a shower in the morning.

As we got up, I informed him I wanted to get our showers before we got going.

As we had breakfast, I said, "When she's done with breakfast, I want to go take a shower."

I got distracted with my project and as I finished (as I already stated), he was dressing her, and I got annoyed. "I wish you hadn't done that," I told him. "I was just going to take her to get a shower."

His response? "Why didn't you tell me?"

I grabbed the things we'd need for the shower, and walked off. Got to the showers and--turns out you have to pay for the shower (which explained the change machine I'd noticed last night and wondered what people would need change for). Went back to the car, grabbed $4.00, hoping it would be enough, and went and got change. In the shower, put a quarter in the machine and . . . nothing. Another quarter and PRESTO! Hot water.

We showered, got dressed, and headed back to our campsite. Hubby packed for surfing and off we went to the beach.

He changed into his gear and we left his bag on the sand. I drove off with my daughter and we got breakfast at a little local cafe and then headed back to pick up my husband, who came shivering out of the water a little bit later. Apparently it was really cold--much more so than the normal "really cold" we get there. After defrosting his feet, we headed up to my relatives place, where we were fed fresh crab, fresh grilled salmon, and oysters. Plus we got to sit around and talk to my relatives--I very much enjoyed hearing the stories from years past.

We kept catching my daughter with platefuls of blackberries and finally cut her off. Unfortunately, even after cutting her off, it seemed that every time we turned around, she had more berries in front of her. I started packing her full of cheese as I was afraid of what the outputs would become tomorrow.

My aunt and uncle have a bunch of plastic tables and chairs--the kind that stack neatly, but aren't for heavy-duty use. With the uneven surface of the driveway and people shifting around on tables as we tried to escape the sun in favor of shade, there were a few casualties. Having had an "experience" with one of those chairs before (I fell over backwards into bushes and had a heck of a time getting back up as no one would help me because they were too busy laughing too hard), I was very careful when I placed and then sat down in my chair.

Apparently I wasn't careful enough.

As I went to stretch at one point, the chair went over backwards. Luckily (?) I crashed into a stump and rolled over sideways. It really tweaked my back though and I ended up going inside to lie down on the floor and stretch. I got stuck. Fully humiliated, I managed to v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y get into a crawling positing and worm my way onto the couch. I laid there for a bit trying to just breathe to get comfortable and get my back out of spasm.

After a couple of hours, I was able to straighten and walk again, but really just wanted to go back to the campground and go to bed. My husband decided to take off and go surfing again, so my daughter and I stayed with the relatives some more and she snuck still more blackberries. Finally we headed back to the campground and settled down for the night.

Or so we thought, but technically that will happen on tomorrow's entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment