Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Apparently We Weren't Done with the Sick

I had one of my insomniac nights last night where I just couldn't get to sleep. I think I drifted off around 4:00 am.

My husband woke me at 6:30 to ask questions about my daughter's plan for the day. Then she woke up and came in and wanted to talk with me for an hour as my husband was getting ready.

I know, I know, someday I will look back on this and wish my daughter still wanted to talk to her mommy for an hour, but all I could think right then was that I just wanted to sleep.

Finally, they left the house.

What felt like two seconds later, my phone rang. It was actually just after 9:00, but it was my daughter's French preschool, informing me that she had diarrhea and needed to be picked up immediately.

Yay.

I got up, showered, let the dog out, and took off to her school. The teacher didn't seem terribly pleased (not that I blame her; their policy on that is pretty clear). My daughter wasn't too upset; she wanted to know where we were going to go instead. I went grocery shopping and then she was begging for sushi. Having a bit of a craving myself, I went ahead and took her to my favorite local place.

She'd just barely eaten the tops off of her crab salad when she informed me she needed to go potty. Since we've been dealing with accidents, I tried not to show my annoyance, but I was kinda frustrated that once again, she waited until we'd started a meal to go take care of business.

In the restroom, she had another bout of what got her sent home from French school. Then she threw up. Luckily, she didn't get any on either of us and some of it even made it into the toilet. I cleaned up the bathroom as best I could with paper towels, informed the wait staff that someone might want to go in and sanitize the place, paid for our meal, and left.

Apparently a good thing she came home from the preschool.

I called her pediatrician, who told me we'd done all the right things so far in regulating what she was eating and doing, and that this was probably just an "aftershock" so I didn't need to worry and to put her on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast).

My daughter thought today was GREAT because I sat her on the couch, turned on whatever movies she asked for, and took her liquids or nibbles of food every 10 minutes.

Of course, the poor little thing is now exhausted and took a 4-hour nap.

Now if we can just get her insides back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment