Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

I Forgot My Own Lesson

A few years after we were married, I accidentally learned a lesson about getting things that I want. If there's something that's a semi-large to large expense, but that we can finance reasonably, need severely, or even just really really want, but I'm the one that wants/needs it and my husband doesn't see the value, we don't get it.

To be clear: I am NOT slamming my husband here. He manages our budget and despite two layoffs (equalling 9 months of no income), we haven't lost a house or a car or (for the most part) our standard of living. So bravo to him (truly).

Here's the thing: there have been several instances where there has been something that I wanted/needed that were rather large purchases. Things that would truly take planning, make a dent in the budget so that we'd have to compensate somewhere else, and--here's the key--he wasn't convinced that we needed.

Let's look at a little case history.

Way back in 2004, I took a few sewing classes. There was this super-duper, fancy-pantsy, ultra-wow sewing machine that I saw and wanted. It was also super-duper, fancy-pantsy, ultra-wow expensive. When I mentioned it could be my birthday present, I believe there was mumbling in Arabic that I presume translated to something along the lines of, "Right, and then we'll move into a mansion."

Jump ahead to early 2006. I'm pregnant and my car had died. I was bicycling/using public transportation for three-plus hours a day to get to and from work. (My husband, who was a 15-minute bike ride from work was driving his functional car.) I ended up miscarrying (not related to the bicycle riding), but still had no transportation that did not involve self-propellment and/or digging change out of my husband's wallet.

I'd helpfully emailed him a list of items for a new car. It looked something like this:

Must-haves
decent gas mileage
front wheel drive or 4-wheel drive to be functional in snow
good/low maintenance
4-door model so I won't break my back bending a seat forward to put in a car seat if we ever have a kid
room for my massage table in it

It-would-be-nice-ifs
functional stereo
air-conditioning
sideview mirrors on both sides
automatic locks so I could lock all the doors at once
trip meter

As-long-as-I'm-dreaming
one of those fancy button keys that unlocks the car
a sunroof
bunwarmers (you know, the seats with heat in them)
a CD changer in the stereo
rear wiper
something not ugly

Note: my old Subaru Justy that I drove after college for about 5 years was only $1500 back then. If you could find one with four doors, that would be fine with me.

Apparently even my "must-haves" list was too demanding because I never even got a response to my new car features list.

A few weeks after the miscarriage, I had to borrow his car because I had several doctor's appointments that I couldn't get to in time with my bike and public transit and still get to work. The next day, I (accidentally, I swear) forgot to return his car key and when I took off on my merry way on my bicycle, I didn't think anything of it.

Until a mile from home, riding in the bike lane on a fairly busy street, I hear my name shouted right behind my left ear. I nearly wet my pants fell off the bike I was so startled. Turns out it was my husband, who'd gone to leave for work, couldn't find his car keys, realized I still had them, ran out, got on his bike, and chased me down. This was when I discovered that I still had his car keys. Coincidentally, it was when he decided that he needed for me to have my own car again.

That night he had a list of car options for me. We picked up the new car one month to the day after my miscarriage (and it had everything except bun warmers and four-wheel drive).

Several months ahead, in late 2006. Bob had destroyed beyond cleaning several spots on the carpet, we'd bought and housebroken a Golden Retriever, which had also destroyed beyond cleaning several spots on the carpet, and we'd got suckered into volunteered to dogsit my sister's bulemic dog (fine, it's not bulemic, it has a birth defect, but the end result is total involuntary binge-and-purge behavior), which added to the destroyed beyond cleaning spots on the carpet. Which meant we could no longer strategically place rugs/furniture on the floor to cover things up. I was stating, repeatedly, that we needed to get new floor. My husband, who I'm now going to just refer to as "The Moroccan" did his consumer reports research, shopped around for the decided-upon laminate flooring, and determined that we couldn't afford it.

Since I was pregnant, I was reiterating the need for the floor because there was no way I was going to let "Wiggly" (as we called our daughter before she was born, rather than referring to "the baby" or "it") crawl around on that carpet. Again I was reminded that it was not in the budget.

However, The Moroccan had also started sewing. In fact, he was sewing more complicated things than I have ever sewn. And better than me. Honestly, I was totally jealous proud of him. He was talking about selling his creations and he was getting frustrated with the limitations of our sewing machine.

I took him to the store with the super-duper, fancy-pantsy, ultra-wow sewing machine and had them demo some different machines--since honestly, some of what he was doing was beyond my skill level, I figured it would be better if they explained it to him. You know, since I would try to influence his decision couldn't.

About 45 minutes of demonstration later, after a demo on the super-duper, fancy-pantsy, ultra-wow sewing machine, he turns to me and asks, "Do you want it?"

I was stunned. For a whole lot of reasons, including that the sewing machine asking price was 3-4 times what we'd estimated that the flooring (which we couldn't afford) would cost.

I carefully responded, "Yes and no....Yes, I want it, but no because we don't need it and we need new floors FIRST. Which we can't afford, so no, I don't want this machine. I need new floors."

I swear to goodness that if looks could kill, the saleslady (who I am friends with), would have decapitated me with laser vision at that moment.

My husband sat there, trying to process what I'd just told him. "But I thought you really really wanted this super-duper, fancy-pantsy, ultra-wow sewing machine."

I repeated. "Yes, I want it. I don't need it. I need new floors. And no way am I letting you buy this sewing machine if we can't get new floors."

Again with the saleslady death look.

Now, in case you haven't already caught it (I hadn't at this point), something MAJOR had just happened. The super-duper, fancy-pantsy, ultra-wow sewing machine had changed from something I wanted to something The Moroccan wanted. I didn't realize this until several months later when I was retelling the story to a friend and it was pointed out to me. Which is why I'm pointing it out now.

The Moroccan says, "What if we could get the floors and the sewing machine?"

I believe at this point I actually snorted. Which is when the saleslady stepped in and sweetened the deal with same-as-cash financing, reminding us of a rebate, and throwing in a couple of discounts and freebies.

I shrugged. "If our budget went from we can't afford new floors that we need to we can afford the floors AND the super-duper, fancy-pantsy, ultra-wow sewing machine in a matter of 45 minutes, I'm not going to argue. I don't understand it, but I'm not going to argue."

He asked for a calculator, paper, and pen, and then spent about 20 minutes (after the store was supposed to close) mumbling and scribbling.

We drove away with the super-duper, fancy-pantsy, ultra-wow sewing machine in the back of my car and the promise of new floors before Wiggly would be born.

Are you seeing the pattern yet? If it's me that wants the big purchase, it doesn't really happen. Once he decides that we want/need the purchase, it happens. (I would like to note that both the car, sewing machine, and flooring purchases were all made before his first layoff--at his job where the income and benefits were significantly greater than they are now.)

In other words, if I could use this technique sparingly (because there is a point where the budget won't bend, no matter what) and strategically, I might have a little less frustration waiting time before we get things.

Except the problem is, I can't seem to remember to use it.

Until today, when I realized, that accidentally (again), I had.

Our waterbed, which I loved for years and honestly, still really do like, hurts my back too much to sleep on it any more. And by "too much" I mean "so much that I haven't slept on it pretty much for the past two years." I've been hinting that if we got a good mattress, we wouldn't have to get a boxspring and we could use the waterbed frame and I wouldn't have to camp out on the futon/massage table/our daughter's bed any more.

But good mattresses are expensive, and--you guessed it--not in the budget.

When we got back from visiting my sister this summer, we discovered that our cat had been locked in the bedroom all 11 days that we were gone--without food or a litterbox. Yes, she survived (by drinking toilet water), and no, we're really not sure how it happened, and no, the housesitter didn't notice because that cat hides under the furniture if a strong breeze blows three counties away.

The cat survived. The carpet and some of our possessions did not.

The master bedroom was one of a few remaining areas in our house that we have not refloored since we moved in (along with the kitchen, my bathroom, and the front entryway). Mostly because we didn't want to disassemble the king size waterbed with 12 storage drawers and a cupboard underneath and a monster headboard with shelves. Now it was unavoidable.

The room was so horrendous smelling that even with fans blowing out the window 24/7, it was stinking up the rest of the house. Even The Moroccan, who can't normally smell very well (long story involving broken nose and reconstruction), couldn't deal with it and started camping out in the living room.

Know what? I've been asking for a new bed (or at least mattress) for two years. It only took two months of him sleeping on the futon to announce, "I've had enough. We've got to get a new bed."

My point? Once again, it was something that he thought we needed. And not being (totally) stupid* I seized the moment and took us mattress shopping today.

*If I was smart at all, I would have failed to replace the waterbed heater a couple of years ago when it broke because he had to sleep on the futon then too.

I happen to have relatives in the mattress manufacturing industry and had actually done some shopping around. Not that I didn't trust them when I was told that they offer great mattresses at reasonable prices. No, it was because The Moroccan won't buy anything without cross-comparison shopping done first.

I discovered that my relatives do, in fact, have the most reasonable rates on comparable mattresses, so I hauled The crutches-using Moroccan down to the showroom. (Another "get stuff" tactic I might want to keep in mind--take him shopping when he is somehow disabled because he'll just want to be done with the process. Not sure if it will work yet though.)

We found a couple that we really liked but were a little undecided. We had chosen the one we liked the best, but my relative wouldn't let us buy it--she said it was important to wait and then come back. However, I was wanting to get this done NOW (not because I was afraid my husband would change his mind, but because I am So. Tired. Of. Sleeping. With. A. Four-year-old. So she sent us over to the next closest showroom (about 10 minutes away), because they had one more model there we hadn't tried and it would give us some time to "step away" from the one we'd liked and see if we liked it as much when we tried it again.

We ended up buying the other model. We didn't get the "foundation" for it because we haven't chosen a bed frame. I had actually looked at IKEA yesterday to see if they had anything I liked and see what the price ranges were. I don't know what we'll do on that yet, but apparently it's "not in the budget."

For now, I've totally burned out the "he needs it so we'll get it" method and I'm not testing the "taking you shopping on crutches" again right away, so I think I'm going to have to hope I make enough money judging that I can make the big purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment