Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

After the Event

I drifted off (which had been my intention) as I was leaning back in my car. When I woke myself up by snoring, I realized I had a headache starting up...in a bad way. I took one of my migraine pills (which I'd thankfully remembered to pack) and moved from my reclined driver's seat to the back of the car to nap more comfortably.

I woke up about 45 minutes later and decided to get ready for the gymnastics meet I was going to volunteer at. As I sat up, I realized that I'd forgotten to wash the dog blanket after taking the three Golden Retrievers to the dog park...and that's what I'd been sleeping on.

My black pants more closely resembled fur pants.

I got out of the car and vigorously brushed them off, grabbed my volunteering outfit, and headed inside.

Although I'd volunteered for the event about two months ago, somehow my name got off the list and I did not have a station. Unfortunately, this meant that I could not be on the competitive floor at all, which was kind of a bummer. However, I DID get to watch the whole meet, for free, from the stands...and I used the opportunity to practice judge, which was actually a lot of fun.

By this time, though, soreness was already kicking in. Stairs, which I had to use several times, were NOT my friend. I couldn't bend my knees while weight-bearing, so if there wasn't a railing, I was in serious danger of falling down. One of my friends that I was sitting with kindly gave me some Aleve. I can't for sure say that it worked; however, it may simply have prevented me from getting worse.

One of the "gadgets" I'd picked up yesterday was this fancy ice cup thing. I had put it in Dad's freezer last night per the instructions, pulled it out and packed it just before 6:00 am, and completely forgot to use it. I left the meet at about 7:30 pm, and the instructions said it would last for up to 12 hours, so I wasn't hopeful when I opened it.

If only I could get paid for this, but I would become a total spokesperson for Ice-Up. It's an ice cup with a cooler, and then when you need it, it works like an ice massage. You can do the same thing much cheaper, true, with styrofoam or paper cups (like I did when I was a kid), but you need the freezer there, you can't transport it, and the ice eventually falls out of the cup as it melts. Ice-Up stayed cold for over 16 hours (I used it later too), and because of the design of the cup, it doesn't fall out, plus the holder doesn't freeze your fingers off, or leave you with scraps of torn-off cup to pick up. It is way cool.

I thought about using it on the drive home, but couldn't figure out how to use it just while sitting parked, so sealed it back up and drove off. I even went and visited some friends of the family (and sat on their floor and iced while we talked) before going home.

There was still enough ice to give myself another treatment before I went to bed, then take an epsom salt bath, then one last ice treatment.

I hope I will be able to walk tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment