Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Better Than Yesterday, But That's Not Saying Much

Today's workout plan was to go swimming with my brother-in-law the same place we went yesterday. Then my sister really wanted me to practice the transition to the bike.

She's still not getting that for me, I'm not racing, so the few seconds I'm going to lose from not practicing a transition really aren't critical.

The swim went both better and worse than yesterday. I managed to actually swim a quarter of a mile, but I did have to stop a couple of times and cough/gag water out. Also, I only swam with my face in the water a few strokes since I still can't seem to figure out the breathing thing.

I learned that swimming with your face out of the water is not only far less efficient (and slower), but it is SO much more tiring. I've got to figure this out--I'm now more worried about that part than anything. I know I can finish, but I'm afraid it will take me so long that I will be disqualified at the end of the first event because I'll be so slow I'll miss the cutoff time.

After a quarter mile (which I swam going away from the car, down the beach), I walked back in about waist-deep water so at least I was still getting some kind of exercise.

My brother-in-law swam a half mile in less time than it took me to do my little antics in the water. Yes, he's in fantastic shape, but *sigh* so depressing that someone swims faster than I walk.

Anyhow, after the swim, we were going to drive up a ways and bike in a different place that has a few little hills (rather than just the flat area from yesterday).

We passed the place where the ferry leaves from and then decided that my brother-in-law and my sister would bike while I watched my niece. They were only gone for about 40 minutes, and I adore my niece, but it was excellent reinforcement that I only want one child because I just don't want to go through the baby phase again.

We came back and loaded my bike onto the trainer in the living room. Pizza was ordered for dinner and then we sat down to watch How To Train Your Dragon. Great movie, but it was too hard to hear over the bike on the trainer AND I was overheating rather rapidly. Plus trying to exercise on a full stomach was probably not too wise.

Not a great day of training.

Hopefully tomorrow will go better.

No comments:

Post a Comment