Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Stepping Away

I had to leave for a meeting this weekend. My daughter went home from preschool with a friend. The report I got (later) indicated that while she was there, they were playing in the treehouse. My daughter squealed that she'd seen a mouse and the Mom--who happens to not be so fond of rodents--bravely climbed up, only to discover my daughter was joking.

Oh dear. What kind of example have we (I completely include my husband in this) set such that our 3-year-old is already playing practical jokes?

Meanwhile, I had a three-hour drive to my meeting which was absolutely gorgeous. The weather was nice, the late afternoon angles of light through trees and across water and mountains was phenomenal. Wow. I love where I live.

While I was rock-jamming out on the drive (and somewhat stunned at the speed I was quite frequently passed at, especially since I thought I was really speeding), I was thinking about what I'd do when I got to my hotel. I had a bunch of reading to do to prepare for tomorrow's meeting--a "bunch" being about 3-4 hours worth.

Yes, I could have read it before leaving home. No, this wasn't typical procrastination behavior (although any other time I would totally attribute it to that). Since I have to have a good grasp on the material, I read in the night before so it is "fresh" but yet I've still had time to sleep on it/process it. Having read the material in advance before (and then been unable to recall details) and also read it the morning of (and felt like I didn't have enough time for reflection), I now schedule time to read the material the night before.

So I had several hours of non-fun reading ahead of me. But I wanted to take some time for myself. An idea formed on something I've been contemplating for awhile. And when I checked in at the hotel, the girl at the front desk (who was so awesome I'm going to write a letter to the hotel management about her) called around and booked me an appointment and then wrote out directions for me to get there.

I found it, easily, and went and got a haircut.

I totally copied one of the moms at my daughter's preschool, but I've been admiring her cut for a couple of months, I know that style suits me, and my husband has also really liked similar cuts.

Now, the question is . . . will I be able to style it to look this good in the morning?

For now, I have some required reading in front of me. Hopefully I will have enough time to get to my new Jen Lancaster book before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment