Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day at the Beach

Woke up with purple eyeshadow on. My eye is now multi-colored and swollen, although not nearly as bad as I'd feared--and you kinda have to look to see it.

So if your kid beats you up, is it still domestic abuse?

The plan for today was to leave for the beach by 8:00 am, so that we could be home by about 2:00. I heard my husband get home from work at about 5:00 am, so I had a feeling he would need the sleep. My daughter and I got up and she was (sort of) helping me fold laundry while we watched a movie. I kept reminding her that she had to finish her folding (which was essentially just flattening her underpants and stacking them, and then moving the stack to the drawer) before she could go to the beach. She kept getting distracted by the movie. As the movie finished, she said, "Is it a deal, Mommy?"

"Is what a deal?" I asked.

"You fold YOUR laundry and you fold MY laundry and I'll go play outside!"

I reminded my little manipulator that the "deal" was that when she finished folding her laundry, we would go wake up Baba and get ready to go to the beach. She finally finished. At 11:30, I went and woke up my husband.

He was at first annoyed because he thought that we wouldn't be leaving that late and I wouldn't want to go, but was up and out of bed amazingly quickly when I informed him that we just needed to pack and leave. I think we finally departed at about 1:30. Living on Moroccan time again.

We had lots of fun at the beach. By "we" I mean my husband, my daughter, and the dog. I spent much of my time trying to keep my daughter out of the waves and keep the dog in the waves, with the intention of wearing out both of them. When my husband had enough surfing in the cold water, we packed up and headed home. That's not to say I had a bad time, but my idea of fun would be being able to sit on the beach with a book without having to worry about a 4-year-old getting caught in the surf or the dog getting caught off-leash.

Despite glopping sunscreen on myself, I managed to miss some spots. So now I have a discolored eye and weird sunburn marks. Yep, I'm a babe.

Dozed on the way home, and was planning a swim to work out, but ended up falling asleep with my daughter when I was putting her to bed. I'm starting to get just a bit nervous for my next triathlon.

No comments:

Post a Comment